Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Diamond Jubilee Challenge!



 I would like to make a change to the tone and direction of this blog.  I have decided to start a challenge for myself that I will be documenting on this blog.  I hope this will be very exciting and interesting!

Now onto the specifics of the project!  I have long been a collector of vintage Sears Roebuck catalogs (I own catalogs from 1945, 1957, 1959, and 1961 [pictured above]).  I usually find them on eBay or at local thrift stores and I just love looking through them!  (There is no better way, in my opinion, to study the fashion, home decor, and furniture of a year than to look through one of these catalogs. Seriously, depending on the year, a customer cracking open a Sears Roebuck catalog when it was freshly delivered could order almost anything under the sun!)

Here's a look at the Spring-Summer 1961 edition:



Men's casual shirts.



ADORABLE suits for small boys!



Shoes to die for (look at those stiletto heels)!



That modern "Big Square Look" TV!



Even pick up a pooch on credit (only 10% down).



Kenmore metal sewing machines.


I have decided to use my catalog from 1961 from this project. It's the newest (to me), the styles are suitable for warm weather, and I was simply entranced by the pages and pages of beautiful dresses, skirts, and blouses that I wish I could order for myself.  So, I've decided to challenge my sewing skills and create as many garments from this catalog as possible.  The rules are simple:  sew each garment as close as possible to the description and picture shown in the catalog.  I fully expect this to challenge my design and sewing skills, but I also hope to come out of this with a beautiful wardrobe inspired directly by 1961.

I'm excited to get going on this project!  Up next:  Planning my first garment!

No comments:

Post a Comment