Sunday, August 25, 2013

Covering a Sleeve Board

Hi everyone!  Summer is winding down around here and thoughts of fall and winter are dancing in my head.  Some serious sewing (and posts about current projects) is on the horizon and I was recently organizing my sewing supplies in preparation.  I discovered my recently purchased steel sleeve board.  I have no idea when it was made, but I have no doubt that it would be considered "vintage."




I don't know if it's supposed to have a cover, but in my head it was just screaming out for a cheesy looking cover.  So I dug out my cheesiest, quilting cotton I got on clearance at Jo-Ann Fabrics.


I laid out the sleeve board on top of the fabric and traced around it with tailor's chalk.  Then I cut around the outline, being careful to leave about 1 1/2 to 2 inches extra to allow for the cover to fit around the sides of the sleeve board.

I bound the raw edges with vintage lace single fold bias tape from my stash.




 Then I attached thin elastic on the wrong side of cover to really make it "grip" the sleeve board.


 And voila!  Not much, but it does the job.  Now onto the garment sewing!  See you next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment