Sunday, August 18, 2013

Fall Wardrobe Planning

I know it feels like we've just only begun summer, but fall will quickly be upon us.  I can pretty much tell that autumn is imminent when I can't turn around without hearing something about "Back to School" :P.

In any case, I can't get thoughts of lovely fall wardrobe pieces out of my head.  And a recent trip to the fabric store and a perusal of the new Fall 2013 Catalogs left me dizzy with inspiration and itching to start planning for the fall.

M6800

McCall's 6800

First off, I think I'll want a winter coat.  I live in a part of the US that has quite brutal winters with lots and lots of snow, so a nice warm coat is important.  Plus, readers, I've got this kind of "thing" about winter coats:  I just can't get enough of them (wearing them, making them, just plain looking at them!).  McCall's 6800 caught my eye because of the "high-low" hemline and the detachable faux fur collar.  View D even includes a detachable hood.  I'm smitten, guys!  I can imagine making this coat in a thick wool coating with an interlining (for warmth) based on the technique I learned during Gertie's Lady Grey Sew-Along waaay back in 2010.


Simplicity 2154

I am hoping, also, to make Simplicity 2154 this fall.  And in the navy and white houndstooth suiting fabric I acquired at a local thrift store, I think it will look quite "1960s Stewardess" (a look I don't hate :P).  I guess I'll only know if I try it out.


Advance 9453

One of the holes in my wardrobe that I've noticed is a lack of fall/winter work-appropriate dresses.  I hope that Advance 9453 can fix this issue.  It is a fitted dress with a kick pleat that buttons down the front and has the option for short or three-quarter length sleeves.  My best guess is that it dates from the early 1960s.  The bow tie detail on the neckline caught my eye when browsing through my pattern stash.  

I may also feel the need for a few full and fluffy dresses because they're so comfortable and easy to wear at work (and of course, require a poufy crinoline, my favorite!).

Do you have any plans for fall sewing, garment or otherwise?  Please comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment