Monday, July 29, 2013

July 2013 Thrifting Haul

Just a quick post this morning to wrap up the weekend.  One of my unofficial official hobbies is thrift shopping.  I just love the searching and hunting that goes into thrifting.  Sometimes it takes some digging, but I usually find some great 1950s and 1960s appliances, sewing notions, books, and clothing.  And, to top it all off, I can usually find a GREAT deal!

We have lots of awesome thrifts stores in my town and recently a friend and I spent a day shopping in preparation for her move out of state.  I found some fun fabric and sewing notions (heellllooo sleeve board!) and some great vintage books and magazines.  I'd like to share some of my finds today:

20130728_215718.jpg

Here we have a 1951 Better Homes and Garden Garden Book.  It's bound with a binder-style and has page after page of gorgeous color photos.  There are instructions for lot planning, soil choices, and numerous plants to cultivate (both flowers and vegetables).

Next I found a lovely, wonderful condition 1961 Singer Home Decorations Sewing Book.  Oh my goodness do I love it!  Just flipping through this book, I am so inspired to just completely redo my entire house in a gorgeous early 1960s aesthetic. There also thorough sewing directions for every possible bedspread, tablecloth, or sham you could think of.



Lastly, I found, just sitting on top of a pile of old magazines, three LIFE Magazines.  The large picture of President Kennedy caught my eye and I added them to my "keep" pile.  These three were published right after President Kennedy's assassination:  the first, just one week after, the other two weeks, and the last one was in February of the next year.  On top of the historically interesting and significant articles to read, there are some nice advertisements to drool over.  These LIFE Magazines are probably my favorite finds of this thrifting trip.

Do you have any favorite thrifting finds?  Please comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment