Sunday, July 28, 2013

For the Love of Presser Feet





A few years ago, in college, I wandered into the school bookstore looking to soothe myself after a tough exam with the purchase of a good book.  Naturally I headed straight for the sewing books and picked up one entitled The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook by Charlene Phillips (available for purchase here or at your local bookstore).  So many pictures of vintage-y, sew-y things! I just had to have it.  It's so pretty.
Well, the pretty met the practical when I recently acquired a bunch of mystery presser feet for my 1971 Singer Fashion Mate 257.  I ran right for the Handbook and discovered a whole wide world of things my sewing machine can do for me.  It's pretty incredible!  There are presser feet that can shirr for you, hem for you, or even understitch with ease.  Allow me to share my favorites with you (all of this information comes from Charlene's book and my own experience).



The more-than-a-little-intimidating Binder is used to quickly and easily attach bias strips (or purchased bias tape) to the edge of your fabric.  To use it, gently feed the end of your bias strip into the front of the Binder and the shape of the metal "scroll" will manipulate and fold the long edges.  Then, slide the edge of your fabric between the folded ends of the bias strip and sew!  Personally, I don't find myself binding much, but I can see how this could be useful.  Plus it looks really cool!




My other favorite new presser foot to use is the Ruffler.  As you might have guessed, you use this presser foot to create ruffle or gathers and sew over them at the same time.  The screw on top is used to adjust the spacing and size of your ruffles.  Just feed your fabric through and start a-rufflin'.  And, guys, it's pretty amazing just how fast this thing ruffles.  With a little experimenting, you may never have to gather the old-fashioned way again.


A couple other favorites:





The Tucker




The Adjustable Hemmer




The Braiding Foot


The Roller Foot

Do you have a favorite special presser foot?  Comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment